Saturday, May 14, 2011

Have you heard The Hum?

A colleague of mine and I were in her office chatting a few days ago when she suddenly stopped talking, stared off into space and said "Do you hear that?"  "What?" I asked.  "That hum.  I hear it all the time now.  I heard it late last night.  Can't you hear it?"  I listened.  Yes, I heard a faint droning sound.  "I hear it more when I'm lying down in bed than when I'm sitting up," she said.  "I hear it out at our place. It's so loud it drives me nuts."  (She has property near the mountains, not too far from Yosemite National Park.)  When I thought about it, I remembered something strange I'd been hearing at about 3am for the past few weeks.  Sort of an low, undulating, repetitive sound.  We live near the Pacific coast and I'd just passed it off as some type of fog horn in the distance.

Well, as it turns out, we aren't the only ones who've heard it.  Called by various names, the Taos Hum, the Bristol Hum, or that really annoying background noise.  She sent me this link to prove she wasn't completely crazy.

Tesla's Tower
I have my own theory concerning the hum and the earth's fundamental resonance frequency--The Schumann Resonance.  The Schumann resonances are a set of spectrum peaks in the extremely low frequency portion of the Earth's electromagnetic field spectrum. Schumann resonances are global electromagnetic resonances, excited by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth's surface and the ionosphere. I think we've sent up so much electromagnetic junk over the last century through radio waves, television, microwaves, and now digital transmissions that we've set off a new band wave of resonance in the space between us and the ionosphere.  It's a thought. ????  Others think it's all Tesla's fault--a disruption in the Schumann Resonance caused when he test fired his Wardenclyffe Tower.  Here's an interesting speculation on Tesla and the hum: Manipulating and Harnessing the Schumann Resonance.

So...have you heard The Hum?

No comments:

Post a Comment