Thursday, November 3, 2011

I'm a five star slacker

Sometimes you feel like a writer, sometimes you don't.

I'd like to say I've been so busy I haven't had the time to sit down and concentrate on the two novels I have in the works, but that's just not true. I managed to finish an astounding number of levels on Angry Birds. Warning--if you see the Angry Birds app on any device you own, never...ever...touch it. It's a sly demon sent by the Lords of Time to suck your life away. It's the game equivalent of crack.


When I started Case Files I posted a spinning banner on my screen saver that read: Three Pages Per Day. That was my goal and it came with conditions. If I didn't complete my three pages, if I wrote only one for example, then I owed myself two pages the next day. I didn't always reach my goal, but the phrase kept me focused. And it kept me feeling guilty for wasting time. Many people have written many pages outlining their secrets for overcoming writer's block. For me, guilt is a great motivator.

Time to turn that screen saver back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment